- Cardanol is a naturally occurring Phenol in light pale yellow color manufactured from CNSL. It is a monohydroxyl Phenol having a long hydrocarbon Chain (C15H27) in the Meta position.
- Cardanol also known as Cashew Phenol is obtained in the distillation process of technical CNSL under reduced pressure. The distillation takes place at high temperature and Distilled CNSL vapours are received through high vacuum. The average unsaturation of about two double bonds in the side chain of the Cardanol molecules make cross linking easy and provides a satisfactory gradual drying and baking properties to paints prepared from it. Because of its peculiar structure Cardanol Varnishes have high electric Insulation, greater resistance to water, chemicals and good flexibility.
- Cardanol is a phenol which has a C15 unsaturated alkyl chain with 1-3 double bonds at meta position. The component of commercial Cardanol differs in the degree of unsaturation of the side chain but for the practical purposes it can be represented by the following formula.
Properties : One of the significant advantages of the Cardanol is its amenability to chemical modification to effect desirable structural changes so as to get specific properties for making tailor-made polymers of high value. Thus, structural changes could be effected at the hydroxyl group, on the aromatic ring and on the side chain. The unique Molecular structure of Cardanol, especially unsaturation of long Hydrocarbon side chain, makes the cross linking easy on Polymerization. Also besides the side chain impacts hydrophobic nature to the polymer, its coating is Water and Weather resistant.
- Cardanol is used as a primary building block for epoxy curing agents and epoxy diluents and modifiers. This natural alkylphenolic material has an aromatic ring that provides a strong chemical resistant backbone while the hydroxyl group gives strong adhesion and good reactivity for fast and low temperature cure. A long aliphatic side chain provides excellent water resistance, good flexibility, low viscosity, extended pot life, and excellent corrosion protection.
- Cardanol has an excellent properties ideal for the coating industry. It is widely used to manufacture Epoxy Curing Agents and other resins for Paints, Varnishes, and Laminates. It's widely used in Rubber, Pesticides, Adhesives, Mineral Oils, Break Linings, Electrical isolation putty, ink printing.